Monday, September 30, 2013

Change your life and step out of your comfort zone!

Harry and I have never really learned to country dance. When we decided to join our cousins on a trail ride that included dancing at night by the fire; we were very nervous about the dancing. We watched u-tube videos on different dancing techniques, we bought an instruction video, and we tried to practice. I have to admit I have two left feet and I am insecure about looking stupid on the dance floor.

 For the last few months we have been planning on joining our cousins at the Mesquite Trail Ride in Sonoita Arizona. We mailed our horse riding clothes to Arizona, we rented a motor home, and attempted to practice our dancing. I hadn't taken the time to ride a horse in two years. Harry had never gone on a trail ride in his life. Just days before we were scheduled to go, I told Harry that I really didn't want to go. I didn't want to change my routine or step out of my "comfortable" box. Harry still wanted to attend and didn't want to disappoint our cousins, so we drove to Sonoita. Sonoita is a high desert with high grass, rolling hills, and spectacular views. We had a spectacular time riding horses with our family and new friends. We had catered dinners outside under the stars, bonfires every night, live music and dancing. I found out that no one cared if I could dance and no one was watching. We have so many good memories from our time there.

Many people do the same thing day after day. Change is scary and sometimes hard. If I hadn't gone to the trail ride I would have missed out on a wonderful memory and the feeling of accomplishment that I rode my horse for ten hours! Don't let fear of change cause you to miss out on life. “Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change.” –Jim Rohn -

No comments: